This summer I've gotten in to the habit of creating large batches of pesto that I freeze right away. Here's a healthy, easy way to enjoy your greens...
What You Need:
- Any greens: Spinach, Swiss chard, Kale, Basil
- 1 whole organic lemon (yes, the whole lemon!)
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves or 1 - 2 TSP garlic powder
- olive oil
- 1/2 - 1 cup of grated Pecorino Romano (goat) or Parmigiano-Reggiano (cow) cheese
Make extra batches for friends - or freeze and enjoy during winter months!What to do with It:
- Spread it on whole grain bread with kalamata olives, artichokes or sundried tomatoes and broil in the oven
- Serve with whole grain pasta, garnish with pine nuts or walnuts
Victoria Boutenko wrote a great book called Green for Life. This book shares how greens play a vital role in making unhealthy individuals healthy again. It's filled with great recipes for blender drinks using greens. Borrow a copy from your local library.
Please include a comment if you have a healthy recipe for greens. I'd love to hear from you. Thank you.